Sunday 4 October 2015

Richard saves the day!

With reports of a mouth-watering selection of rare and scarce species along the coast, and in particular Spurn it seemed a good idea to spend a few hours working the hedgerows, plantations and fields at Long Nab. Other commitments meant a late start, but I was in the field by 1015 and by 1130 I was beginning to wonder why I had bothered! A Blue Tit was the only bird in Crook Ness and the walk along the cliff top to the ringing site was similarly uninspiring. The ringing site has hosted a Yellow-browed Warbler for the past few days, and despite reports of new arrivals at Filey and Flamborough there was no sign of Yellow-browed action here. I amused myself with photographing the remaining Siskins, of which a dwindling flock has been feeding in the alders for the past week or so.



Just a couple of Chiffchaffs and a handful of Goldcrests were in the ringing site and plantations. A pretty dismal return in the first week of October! With sunny skies and pleasantly warm temperatures it felt more like June! I spent some time taking a few photos - a Hare and one of the numerous Speckled Woods.

Hare

Speckled Wood


A large flock of Linnets kept my interest for a while before I began wandering back towards Crook Ness. As I crossed the field North of the Obs I was wondering whether I had ever spent in excess of four hours and seen so little? The answer is probably, but I didn't get as fas as concluding that. A loud rasping 'Schreep!' broke into my thoughts and immediately registered as a Richard's Pipit. Wow! I quickly picked up the bird - clearly a large pipit with a longish tail - but it promptly headed South calling again a couple more times and although I continued to watch it as long as I could I lost it to view over Cromer Point with it apparently still going. Now I have seen many Richard's Pipits over the years but this was the first one I have actually found in the UK so a very welcome addition to my Find List. About time too though! It was also a welcome 6 points for Patchwork Challenge - pure #patchgold!

The rest of the afternoon passed in a quiet manner but with some good weather conditions forecast for the next couple of days maybe things will improve. Shame I am heading away on another work trip! 

   

  

No comments:

Post a Comment