Friday 22 August 2014

The PWC year ticks continue...

After the exciting seawatching earlier in the week, things have quietened down over the past few days, but there has still been plenty of interest. Wanting a change to staring at the sea, I opted to cover the fields and scrub on Wednesday. Migrants were predictably in short supply as Chiffchaffs, Whitethroats and Blackcaps were all I could find, most of whom will have been local breeders.This return was a bit disappointing in view of a Ruff seen in the hut field which had gone by the time I got there and news of two Redstart sightings in Scarborough town. 

Yes, I can see you! A Whitethroat at the ringing site.

I returned to seawatching on Thursday and although it was very quiet, a juvenile Yellow-legged Gull was new for my Patchwork Challenge yearlist. Nick recorded two additional individuals later in the day, so clearly a little influx taking place, and probably the highest ever day total for this species at Long Nab. A Mediterranean Gull was feeding in the hut field, whilst a juvenile Common Buzzard heading south was another, somewhat overdue year tick for me. 

Friday rounded off the week nicely, although it was frustrating to get the news from Nick of an early morning Hobby before my arrival. Nevertheless Ospreys always make a day worthwhile and one that cruised south along the cliffs at 0738hrs was most welcome and a new bird for my Long Nab list no less. Two Gadwall were rather less memorable but also new for the PWC yearlist and pushed me through the 200 points mark for the competition. A wander around the bushes yielded a couple of Willow Warblers and a Tree Pipit, the latter scarce at The Nab (despite being common in the nearby forests) and only my second of the year here.

Willow Warbler at the ringing site.
 
The occasional wader continues to drop into Johnson's Marsh with this Green Sandpiper present there for the past few days.




No comments:

Post a Comment