Thursday 19 September 2013

Meadow Pipits

With some large counts of Meadow Pipits recorded whilst I have been away, I was keen to try ringing some at the ringing site. In recent years I have rarely been around when they have been on the move in numbers, so it was a priority for me this autumn to try catch some for ringing. So this morning, in the company of Micky McNaghten, we ran a couple of nets from dawn until the rain arrived around 0915. We managed to catch and ring five Meadow Pipits, so a pleasing if modest haul. All those caught were first year birds. Hopefully we'll get further chances to try for more before the main passage period is over. 

Overhead vis mig included 523 House Martins, 14 Swallows, Grey Wagtail, 3 Goldfinch and 2 Linnet heading south. Disappointingly I missed the Hobby that Micky noted heading south whilst I was checking the nets. At sea a few Teal were moving with a total of 64 during the session, with 3 Wigeon, 28 Common Scoter, Arctic Skua and 3 Common Tern also noted.

Meadow Pipit


Meadow Pipit

No comments:

Post a Comment