Tuesday 27 August 2013

Where's the scarce?

Promising weather conditions prompted me to spend a few hours on the patch during the morning of Saturday 24th August. Light easterly winds together with rain and low cloud ought to produce an arrival of migrants and so it proved.Working my way around the plantations it was clear that Willow Warbler numbers were lower than the previous day and Chiffchaffs seemed to have increased. Much more exciting though was a Wood Warbler which popped up at close range. Always a quality find on the coast, this is just the third individual I have seen in the area and the first this year.
Wood Warbler

The ringing site hosted a Pied Flycatcher and a juvenile Cuckoo, whilst the nearby stubble had attracted the first Wheatear of the autumn (at long last!).Returning to the car after a most enjoyable walk a Tree Pipit dropped into the nearby bushes. With friends staying over this weekend, that was all I had time for, but I couldn't help wondering where was that scarce migrant to provide the icing on the cake? It wasn't long before the answer to that came in the form of a text from Micky McNaghten informing me of a Barred Warbler at Crook Ness, an area I hadn't had time to cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment